Middagstips til skikkelig billig middag: Gå på Rema1000, finn frysedisken, hent en Lerøy fiskegrateng til kr 8,50. Gå så til grønnsaksavdelingen og kjøp en kålrot til kr 7 pr kg. Dra hjem, sett fiskegratengen i ovnen, skjær ca. 1/3 av kålroten i staver, og ta ut fiskegratengen etter 30-45 min. Samlet pris: ca. kr 10. Og kjempegodt, og alt du trenger er en ovn. Lerøy fiskegrateng er faktisk bedre enn Findus sine forskjellige, synes jeg. Dette spiste vi i dag. Namnam! I løpet av uka skal vi ha kylling i teryaki-saus, chilli con carne, sweer&sour og spaghetti med tomatsaus. Oppskrifter kommer sannsynligvis etter hvert måltid!
- Goodbye from the BBC Food blogThe chocolate mints have been passed, the brandies have been quaffed and now it’s time to say goodbye to the BBC Food blog. The blog is closing and will no longer be updated after this post closes for comments in two weeks. Thank you to those that have read the blog, shared it and posted comments. We’ve really enjoyed discussing your kitchen conundrums and r […]
- Confessions of a gadget junkieThe other day I was given a bean slicer by a kind friend who couldn’t believe I still sliced my runner beans by hand. I bought some and eagerly set to work only to find that most of the beans were too big to fit into it. Which left me with a gadget that will slice thin beans which don’t really need slicing anyway. It’s not the only gadget I’ve got that doesn […]
- Why don't we eat more cauliflower?If there’s one dish that reminds me of childhood home, it’s cauliflower cheese. My mum was a reluctant cook so cauliflower cheese became our staple diet – every day for high tea. We washed it down with weak tea and Women’s Institute cake. Actually, mum did a pretty good job: unlike the cooks at school who turned cauliflower into grey mush, she never overcook […]
- Cake: man v machineAs part of our on-going series on the kitchen gadgets that really count, this time our eye turns to cakes. Discussions in the office pit me against the rest of the team who believe an electric hand whisk is an essential piece of kit when making cakes. I remonstrate that people were making cakes long before we had electricity in our houses, but they insist: c […]
- Outdoor entertaining Moro-styleWith hopefully a few weeks of summer to eke out, I got thinking about how to manage outdoor cooking and eating in a more effortless and stylish way than I have in the past. When the sun suddenly shines and I decide to throw an impromptu barbecue, it's often the same food that I reach for – sausages, whole mackerel, courgettes halved lengthways and brush […]
- In praise of British butterWhen it comes to dairy, the French are commonly considered the best producers in the world, with some regions being given the protection of AOP status. And when we’re looking for something special to smear on our bread we reach out for French products, because they’re the best. Right? Well, maybe not. As the Isigny AOP butter website puts it “How do we expla […]
- Goodbye from the BBC Food blog